Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Frame Puppet Stage

Frame Stage

After using PVC pipe to make a puppet stage, we wanted to something sturdier, and easier to set up. A couple of puppeteers in the San Francisco Bay Area Puppeteers Guild were using frame stages, so we gave it a try.

The frame stage was made from redwood panels that hinged and latched together. It was easy to set up, stable, and worked great for a while. With repeated use however some of the corners came undone, and we had to re-wood glue and staple them. Eventually, we added plywood corners to the frames, which made them stronger and heaver. The major drawback was this stage was its substantial foot print when it wasn’t set up - it took up a lot of space. On top of that, the hinged together wooden frames were cumbersome and brittle, and if we dropped the stack accidentally they would break.

Towards the end, the hinges came apart, the latches broke, and the screws were loose - the only thing holding it together was the curtain. Once we stared brining wood glue, staples and screws to each show, we new it was time for a new stage.

No comments: