Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Red Crab

crab

This is a crab that I built for Puppet Up! Featuring the Henson Improv Company. He is based on a green crab that was built a while back by the very talented puppet builder Eric Englehardt. Eric is a veritable encyclopedia of puppet building knowledge. He happened to be out from New York and working in the Henson Creature Shop, at the same time I was building the crab. He gave me so many great tips and advice - I could not have built this puppet without him.

5 comments:

Hil said...

This one is cool, too...

Sean Johnson said...

Thanks.

pasha said...

Magnificent! I'm sooo jealous. :)

Matt said...

Awesome puppet! What materials did you use for this? A step by step on this would be WONDERFUL!

Sean Johnson said...

Thanks Pasha and Matt.

The crab was made from thin scott foam painted with a combination of flock glue and pigment. His head was topped with a sheet of less porous foam. I took step by step photos for my own reference, but I'm pretty sure the non-discloser I signed won't allow me to share them.