Just like most cartoon characters many puppets have four digits on each hand. I've found that unless they are really skinny, giving your puppet five fingers looks crowded. Making the three fingers and thumb for each hand will require a total of eleven separate pieces of foam.
1) Cut out the palm from the hand pattern.
2) Trace the palm four times onto a sheet of half inch foam, and cut out with an exacto knife.
3) Measure the length of the longest finger.
4) Measure the width of the same finger and multiply it by three or four, depending on the desired thickness of the finger. This may take a little trial and error, if necessary experiment with a scrap of foam.
5) Using the length and width measurements, draw a rectangle on butcher paper and cut out.
6) Trace the finger pattern eight times onto half inch foam and cut out with an exacto knife.
These hands will also require armature wire, but not yet.