Friday, December 02, 2005

B.A.R.K. Production Journal: The Muzzle, Step 4

In order to give the top jaw of the puppet's muzzle the desired shape, I need to cut away some of the foam. As always, I'm using an exacto knife.

muzzle5

I will also cut the pattern so that it reflects the change. Sometimes it is easier to do in foam what you can't per-visualize on paper. No matter what you cut first, it is important to keep your patter as up to date as possible. If you ever need to go back to it, you will have a pattern that matchs the final puppet. I also make notes on the patters if nessary. For example I'll denote how many pieces should be cut for any given shape. The cat's pieces are marked X2 letting me know that I'll need two pieces to make each cheek.

muzzle6

Here is the revised pattern of the muzzle. Next, I'll most likely need to add some extra pieces to the foam to finalize the shape.

muzzle7

This Production Journal series has been tracking the progress of a cat puppet I'm building for the new Swazzle puppet show B.A.R.K. The Robot Dog. I hope you are finding it interesting and educational. Click here, to see where the puppet started, and here for more B.A.R.K. behind the scenes photos.

No comments: