Friday, November 25, 2005

B.A.R.K. Production Journal: The Mouth

With the head progressing nicely It's time to move on to the mouth. I'm using a technique that is new to me to make the mouth. Until know, I've used a technique I learned from Nick Barone to make the inside of the mouth. It offered a sturdy mouth, but it didn't make for a very flexible mouth. Recently though I've had the opportunity to use some old Muppet puppets, and I've learned a great deal from putting my hand inside them. If any of you have been lucky enough to use a Muppet puppet, you know what I'm talking about - they are like butter, the stradivarius of puppets. Instead of making the pallet with hard material like gasket rubber, I'm using scott foam. This will give me a wide rage of movement possibilities.

cat12

The nice thing about this foam is it's super flexible, and it takes dye really well. I've just used some Rit dye and a warm dye bath to make the foam red.

cat13

No comments: